Over the last few years, news about Hugh Hefner's ailing health was doing the rounds but yesterday, the iconic founder of Playboy succumbed to certain ‘natural causes' as per the statement released by Playboy Enterprises:
"Hugh M. Hefner, the American icon who in 1953 introduced the world to Playboy magazine and built the company into one of the most recognisable American global brands in history, peacefully passed away today from natural causes at his home, The Playboy Mansion, surrounded by loved ones. He was 91 years old."
Hefner was a self-made man who started his career as a regular copywriter and went on to become one of the most iconic figures in the modern world. He made huge contributions towards boosting the careers of some of the most famous names in popular culture.
So naturally, his demise triggered an outpouring of tributes all over the internet. Fans, celebrities and Playboy bunnies took to their social media accounts to pay their respects.
1. Nancy Sinatra posted an adorable picture with Hefner along with a sweet message.
One of the nicest men I've ever known. Godspeed, Hugh Hefner. pic.twitter.com/457cchqskO— Nancy Sinatra (@NancySinatra) September 28, 2017
2. Kim Kardashian appeared on the cover of Playboy in 2007 to promote her show ‘Keeping up with the Kardashians'.
RIP to the legendary Hugh Hefner! I'm so honored to have been a part of the Playboy team! You will be greatly missed! Love you Hef! Xoxo— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) September 28, 2017
3. Actor Mark Hamill reminisced about his first meeting with Hugh along with an iconic quote of him.September 28, 2017
4. ‘Kiss' singer Gene Simmons talked about the multitude of talents that Hefner had.September 28, 2017
5. The message by Dan Bilzerian is sweet but the picture… we don't what to feel about it.
A post shared by Dan Bilzerian (@danbilzerian) on Sep 27, 2017 at 9:24pm PDT
6. Former ‘Playmate of the Year' Jesse McCarthy uploaded a picture of her Playboy cover and thanked Hugh for changing her life.September 28, 2017
7. Actress and model Donna D'Erico expressed her gratitude.
Hugh Hefner put me in Playboy & ignited my career. I am forever indebted, Hef. You will forever live on as an icon of epic proportions. #RIP— Donna D'Errico (@DonnaDErrico) September 28, 2017
8. Former politician and American civil rights leader, Rev Jesse Jackson praised Hefner's strong stand in the civil rights movement.
Hugh Hefner was a strong supporter of the civil rights movement. We shall never forget him. May he Rest In Peace. pic.twitter.com/oL3lKLZRQ5— Rev Jesse Jackson Sr (@RevJJackson) September 28, 2017
9. Singer Charlie Puth was taken aback by the news.
Wow...just read the news. Rest In Peace Hugh Hefner. Your legacy and soul shall live on!— Charlie Puth (@charlieputh) September 28, 2017
10. Paris Jackson had a lot to say about his demise.September 28, 2017
11. Legendary producer, Norman Lear was all praises for Hefner.
We've lost a true explorer, a man who had a keen sense of the future. We learned a lot from you Mr. Hefner. #HughHefner— Norman Lear (@TheNormanLear) September 28, 2017
12. Stand-up comedian and actor Richard Lewis appreciated Hefner's efforts towards ‘breaking boundaries'.
RIP HF. Few did more for writers, inc myself, breaking boundaries and helping Lenny fight for his 1st Amend Rights. pic.twitter.com/Vi4iDgYdCn— Richard Lewis (@TheRichardLewis) September 28, 2017
13. TV and radio host Larry King couldn't help but recognize everything Hefner did for the publishing industry.
Hugh Hefner was a GIANT in publishing, journalism, free speech & civil rights. He was a true original, and he was my friend. Rest well Hef. pic.twitter.com/bJ1wxoK4gR— Larry King (@kingsthings) September 28, 2017
He is survived by his wife Crystal Harris and four children- David, Marston, Cooper who is currently the Chief Creative Officer at the company and Christie, who has previously served as the CEO of Playboy Enterprise for more than 20 years.