👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,526
  • comments
    31
  • views
    446,430

l_168320_055513_updates.jpg
168320_5789332_updates.jpgSupporters of the Congolese main opposition party Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) display a bullet they say was used by riot-police during clashes in the Limete municipality of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, March 28, 2017. REUTERS/Robert Carrubba/Files
1

KIKWIT: Police in the Democratic Republic of Congo Saturday fired on an opposition rally, injuring six protesters denouncing the extended rule of President Joseph Kabila, a lawmaker said.

"The police fired on our militants, injuring six of them, even though we had permission to hold our meeting," said Delly Sesanga MP, president of Envol, a member of the opposition coalition.

He claimed that he himself had been "assaulted and kidnapped for more than three hours" during the incident in Kenge, east of the capital.

However, according to a statement by the national police, only one protester was wounded in the head, and that was caused by stones thrown by other demonstrators.

The police "fired in the air to disperse a crowd that had not been approved by Kenge City Hall", said Emery Kaputa Vita, deputy governor of Kwango Province.

The opposition coalition and other citizens' movements are against the vote schedule published by the electoral commission in the DR Congo.

It predicts that the presidential election will be held on December 23, 2018, extending Joseph Kabila's term as head of the country by a year.

Kabila was scheduled to have stepped down in December 2016 after a constitutional maximum of two terms in office.

Those against President Kabila's stay in power are mobilising force his departure by December 31, 2017, at the latest.

On Thursday, the European Union, the United States, Switzerland, and Canada expressed "concern" at the state of freedoms of expression and assembly in the DR Congo, following a day of protest and a crackdown by security forces.

The opposition are considering a "peaceful demonstration" in Kinshasa on November 28, according to a letter seen by AFP.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...