👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,525
  • comments
    31
  • views
    446,379

l_174451_104606_updates.jpg
174451_4015993_updates.jpgUS Defense Secretary Jim Mattis addresses a news conference during a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, February 16, 2017. ? Reuters FILE

WASHINGTON: US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Friday that he expected to see a larger US civilian presence in Syria, including contractors and diplomats, as the fight against Daesh (Islamic State) militants nears its end and the focus turns toward rebuilding and ensuring the militants do not return.

The United States has about 2,000 troops in Syria fighting Daesh. Mattis? comments are likely to anger Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who has previously called US troops ?illegal invader? forces.

?What we will be doing is shifting from what I would call an offensive, shifting from an offensive terrain-seizing approach to a stabilising... you?ll see more US diplomats on the ground,? Mattis said.

He has previously stated that US forces will stay in Syria as long as Daesh fighters want to fight and prevent the return of a ?Daesh 2.0.?

This is the first time he has said that there would be an increase of diplomats in the parts of the country retaken from Daesh militants.

?Well when you bring in more diplomats, they are working that initial restoration of services, they bring in the contractors, that sort of thing,? Mattis said.

?There is international money that has got to be administered, so it actually does something, it doesn?t go into the wrong people?s pockets,? he added.

The contractors and diplomats would also be looking at training local forces to clear improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and holding territory to help ensure that Daesh does not retake it.

?It is an attempt to move toward the normalcy and that takes a lot of support,? said Mattis. It was not clear how many US diplomats would serve in Syria and when. The United States has suspended diplomatic relations with Syria due to the civil war.

Assad?s forces, helped by Russian air power and Iran-backed militias, have managed to reestablish control over most of Syria over the past two years.

The US-led coalition battling Daesh in Syria has repeatedly said it does not seek to fight Assad?s forces, though Washington want the president to step down.

When asked whether Syrian government forces could move to disrupt the US plans, Mattis said: ?That would probably be a mistake.?


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...