👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,709
  • comments
    31
  • views
    447,711

l_177406_081827_updates.jpg
177406_5306947_updates.jpgUS Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Canada?s Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland speak at a news conference during the Foreign Ministers? Meeting on Security and Stability on the Korean Peninsula in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, January 16, 2018. REUTERS/Ben Nelms

MOSCOW: Russia hit out on Wednesday at a US-led effort to increase international pressure on North Korea, saying it was making the situation worse and undermining the United Nations.

Twenty nations hosted by the United States and Canada in Vancouver agreed on Tuesday to consider tougher sanctions to press North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has refused to give up development of nuclear missiles capable of hitting the United States in spite of increasingly severe UN sanctions, raising fears of a new war on the Korean peninsula.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said top diplomats from Moscow and Beijing had not been invited to the meeting, which was made up of countries that backed South Korea during the 1950-53 Korea War, and that the events were damaging the authority of the United Nations.

?It is an absolutely unacceptable situation, when 17 countries take upon themselves the role of ?helper? to the UN Security Council (UNSC) and interpreter of its resolutions, thereby actually putting its authority into doubt,? the ministry said in a statement.

?Such events, conducted hastily and to the detriment of functioning multilateral formats, are not contributing to the normalisation of the situation around the Korean peninsula, but on the contrary, aggravating it.?

In Washington, a senior US official said that the meeting had been planned for months and sought to push back against the idea that it would aggravate tensions on the peninsula.

?It is not factually accurate to say that the event was conducted hastily. This has been many months in the planning,? said Under Secretary of State Steve Goldstein, responding to the Russian foreign ministry?s statement.

?We believe that this is another step forward in ensuring that the sanctions hold tight,? he added, saying Washington would brief Beijing and Moscow.

?We all share the same view that it is time for North Korea to come to the table and let?s negotiate a complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.?

North and South Korea began talks last week for the first time in more than two years and agreed on Wednesday to field a combined women?s ice hockey team and march together under one flag at next month?s Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...