👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,578
  • comments
    31
  • views
    446,772

l_177994_091429_updates.jpg
177994_7554562_updates.jpgDIG Sultan Khawaja. ? Geo News FILE

KARACHI: The inquiry committee formed to probe extrajudicial murder of Naqeebullah Mehsud has summoned SSP Rao Anwar to appear before it, committee member Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Sultan Khawaja said Sunday.

Mehsud, a 27-year-old native of Waziristan, was among four suspected terrorists killed in an ?exchange of fire? with a police team headed by SSP Anwar on January 13 in Shah Latif Town. However, his family later stated that Naqeebullah was innocent and gunned down in a fake encounter.

An inquiry team, headed by Counter Terrorism Department Additional IG Sanaullah Abbasi, was formed to probe the incident. The committee ordered the suspension of Anwar and other officials involved in the incident as well as placement of Anwar's name on the Exit Control List.

Speaking to Geo News, Khawaja said Anwar appeared before the probe body, formed on the orders of the inspector general (IG), on the first day for 15 minutes.

Anwar claimed that Naqeebullah was wanted for an FIR registered in 2014 and was an affiliate of Qari Ahsaan, an inmate at Karachi central prison, he said, adding that Ahsaan, when asked, Ahsaan said his crime partner Naqeebullah, was someone else.

The DIG said that the committee also visited the site of the suspected police encounter, adding that they continuously tried to contact Anwar, but could not succeed.

The committee met on the second day and this evening as well, Khawaja told Geo News. "Rao Anwar is neither picking up phone calls, nor is he appearing before the probe body, which is why a written notice had to be sent to him."

He said that SP Investigation Abid Qaimkhani has been tasked to present Anwar, adding that tomorrow is a meeting summoned by the IG, wherein Anwar has to appear along with his team.

Khawaja said the probe body will again meet at the office of the DIG East at 11pm and refute Anwar's claims of not being summoned by the committee.

"Anwar has asked all the officer to switch off their phones and run away," he said, adding that it will be proven before the media whether or not Anwar appears.

The DIG further said that they had a conversation with Naqeebullah cousin on Sunday (today) as well and the police team will safely transport Naqeebullah's family to Karachi.

He said that they are in touch with Ghotki and Kashmore SSPs and the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police will hand over Naqeebullah's family to Sindh police.

'Anwar, others involved in killing to be arrested'

Senior officials of the Sindh Police have decided to arrest suspended Malir SSP Rao Anwar and other policemen involved in the extrajudicial murder, sources said earlier in the day.

During Sunday's meeting at the office of the DIG East, which was headed by Additional IG Sanaullah Abbasi, it was decided that Anwar and the other members of the police raiding party would be arrested, sources said.

They added that the meeting decided that all the SHOs of East District, where Anwar was deputed as the SSP, would be transferred.

Sources added that the police hierarchy has been taken into confidence about the move.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...