👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,778
  • comments
    31
  • views
    448,170

l_163990_062101_updates.jpg
163990_64544_updates.jpgRussian opposition leader Alexei Navalny attends an appeal against his jail for repeatedly violating laws governing the organisation of public meetings and rallies, at Moscow city court in Moscow, Russia, October 6, 2017. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov/Files

MOSCOW: Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny held a political rally on Sunday, hours after being released from jail and pledged to continue his presidential campaign despite the authorities saying he is ineligible to stand.

Navalny ? a fierce critic of President Vladimir Putin ? was detained by police in late September and sentenced to 20 days in jail on charges of repeatedly violating laws by organizing public meeting and rallies.

It was the third time he had been jailed this year, part of what he says is a pattern of Kremlin harassment designed to thwart his political ambitions.

Russia?s central election commission has declared him ineligible to run for president next year due to a suspended prison sentence, which he says was politically-motivated.

Shrugging off that ban, the 41-year-old lawyer held a campaign rally in the provincial town of Astrakhan in southern Russia on Sunday evening, hours after walking free from jail.

Navalny said after the rally he would continue to campaign and had the right to take part in next year?s election.

?We have more right to take part in the elections than all the other candidates combined,? Navalny wrote on his website.

Putin, 65, has for months declined to say whether he will run for what would be his fourth stint in the Kremlin but is widely expected to do so. Opinion polls suggest he would comfortably win.

One candidate who has declared her hand is TV personality Ksenia Sobchak, who said last week she planned to run, offering liberal voters unhappy with Putin?s rule someone to back, though she has little prospect of winning.

Some opposition activists fret she is a Kremlin project designed to split the opposition, something she denies.

Last month, commenting on rumours that Sobchak would run, Navalny complained she was being used by the Kremlin as a safe lightning conductor for voters? dissatisfaction.

But he struck a more conciliatory note on Sunday with TV Rain citing him as saying that everyone, including Sobchak, had the right to take part in the March election.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...