👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,553
  • comments
    31
  • views
    446,623

l_178565_060758_updates.jpg
178565_6650465_updates.jpgAn Oscar statue is seen outside the Dolby Theater during preparations ahead of the 87th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California, US, February 20, 2015. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson/Files
 

PARIS: A Lebanese and a Syrian film director both made cinema history this week when their films became the first ever from their home countries to be nominated for Oscars.

Ziad Doueri?s Lebanese drama The Insult was nominated for best foreign language film, while Syrian Firas Fayyad?s Last Men in Aleppo ? which focuses on the work of the White Helmets volunteer rescuers ? was nominated for best documentary.

Set in Beirut, The Insult is about a verbal slanging match between two individuals that leads to a highly publicised trial highlighting the sectarian tensions simmering in Lebanese society.

?It was such good news when we got it, because this is the first time Lebanon arrives to the Oscar and you know you offer a little bit of hope,? Doueri told Reuters.

?It?s like winning a medal, it?s like going to the Olympics and your team for the first time wins the bronze medal or the silver medal.?

The film is the first from Lebanon to be nominated for an Oscar since the small Mediterranean country began submitting movies for consideration in 1978.

The Insult has been screened in Lebanon despite a boycott campaign prompted by the fact that Doueri made a previous film, ?The Attack,? in Israel, with which his country remains in a technical state of war.

Doueri was subsequently arrested and questioned by a military court but was not charged with any offence.

The other nominees for best foreign language film include A Fantastic Woman from Germany, Loveless from Russia, On Body and Soul from Hungary, and The Square from Sweden.

Fayyad ? whose documentary follows the White Helmets group in a besieged Syrian city ? told Reuters that he hoped the recognition would inspire others in his war-torn country.

?Well, it?s really great. I?m proud about that. It opens the road for other filmmakers and artists to think that there?s nothing impossible, especially in a time (when) your country is destroyed, your resources are less, and the people who could stand with you are less,? he said, speaking in English.

Syria first submitted a film for Oscar consideration last year, to no avail. Last Men in Aleppo faces competition from Abacus: Small Enough to JailFaces Places, Icarus, and Strong Island.

Another film about the White Helmets, eponymously titled, won the Oscar for documentary short film in 2017.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...