👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,728
  • comments
    31
  • views
    447,781

l_167290_071731_updates.jpg
167290_1727307_updates.jpg

TOULOUSE: A man who deliberately rammed his car into a group of pedestrians, injuring three Chinese students, was Sunday charged with attempted murder and placed in temporary custody, a prosecutor said.

The 28-year-old ? with a history of psychiatric problems ? appeared before a judge in the southern city of Toulouse who placed him in custody, prosecutor Pierre-Yves Couilleau said, adding that the man maintained an initial claim that voices in his head sparked his action.

The prosecutor had indicated Friday the incident was not terror-related.

The suspect, a single man who lives with his mother in Blagnac, a suburb of Toulouse in southwestern France, had previously suffered severe psychiatric problems and was released from a court-ordered hospital stay in December 2016.

Friday's incident hospitalised two of the students, in their early 20s, from the city's International Business School but the prosecutor said their condition was not serious.

Their fellow victim left the hospital Friday as did a French student aged 23 who suffered shock after witnessing the incident.

The suspect has a criminal record including drugs and armed robbery which brought him two suspended sentences and an order to receive treatment, which he was complying with, according to the prosecutor.

The attack came days after China asked France to "ensure the security" of its nationals, who have been regular victims of thieves.

On November 2, a group of around 40 Chinese tourists were attacked with tear gas and robbed outside a three-star hotel near Paris's Orly Airport.

On Friday a youth, 15 years old at the time of the attack, was sentenced in juvenile court to two years in prison for violently attacking and robbing a Chinese textile worker last year in the Paris suburb of Aubervilliers. The 49-year-old man died five days of his injuries.

France has also been the target of a series of vehicle attacks by extremists inspired by Daesh.

In July last year, a Tunisian man ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd in the southern city of Nice, killing 86 people. 


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...