👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,724
  • comments
    31
  • views
    447,775

l_176461_101055_updates.jpg
176461_3403209_updates.jpg

QUETTA: The process for submitting nomination papers for the new chief minister of Balochistan is under way.

The nomination papers can be taken from the secretary of the Balochistan Assembly and have to be submitted before 3pm today. 

The election for the new provincial chief executive will be held in the assembly session on Saturday (tomorrow). 

The election follows the resignation of chief minister Sanaullah Zehri, who quit on January 9 before a no-confidence motion against him could be taken up in the assembly. 

On Thursday, Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q) and the disgruntled members of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) nominated PML-Q's Abdul Quddus Bizenjo as the candidate for the new chief minister.

Holding a joint press conference in Quetta, PML-N MPA Jan Mohammad Jamali announced Bizenjo as their candidate.

Those backing Bizenjo include five PML-Q MPAs and 15 from the PML-N.

Following the announcement, Bizenjo thanked all the lawmakers who named him their candidate.

"We would continue to serve the people of Balochistan," he said, adding that they still have respect for former chief minister Zehri.

He further said that they would approach all other parties, including Pashtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PkMAP), for voting for him.

On Wednesday, opposition parties in the Balochistan Assembly announced they would not field a candidate for chief minister.

Maulana Abdul Wasay, the leader of the opposition in the provincial assembly, said the opposition would not join the new provincial government.

Zehri's resignation 

Zehri was forced to resign after some members of his own party, the PML-N, joined the opposition in its demand to remove him from office.

The crisis was enhanced further with the resignations of several cabinet members and advisers of chief minister Zehri. 

Zehri had also been advised by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to step down as chief minister in order to defuse the political crisis that had been brewing in the province since the submission of the no-confidence motion in the assembly on January 2.

The prime minister had also taken notice of the role of provincial lawmakers for letting the situation come to its present stage.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...