👀 You are watching:
Jump to content
👉 Click here to explore Remote Jobs, Work From Home & Global News – USA 🇺🇸 | UK 🇬🇧 | Canada 🇨🇦 | Pakistan 🇵🇰 ×
🚫 Guest Access Notice ×
  • entries
    183,743
  • comments
    31
  • views
    447,867

l_178223_110912_updates.jpg
178223_2767435_updates.jpgThe clash broke out late Sunday night when one student group attacked another over their preparations for a cultural festival in the Electrical Engineering Department-Geo News

LAHORE: Police have booked three different cases against 15 people and 100 unidentified persons for their alleged involvement in a clash between two student groups on late Sunday night.

Terrorism acts were also included in the FIR, registered by the university against the student groups.

Moreover, the university administration stopped 35 students from attending classes and entering department premises.

Academics activities resumed today, though attendance by students remained low. Four hundred police officials have been deployed at the university to avert any untoward incident.

The clash broke out late Sunday night when one student group attacked another over their preparations for a cultural festival in the Electrical Engineering Department.

Students attacked each other with batons and bricks. They also torched a room inside the department and a number of cars parked on the varsity?s premises.

A large contingent of police was later deployed at Punjab University, and the protest came to a halt after successful negotiations between student groups and the police.

Chief Minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif took notice of the incident and ordered CPO Lahore to submit a report of the incident.

Speaking to Geo News on Monday, Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr Mohammad Zakria Zakar said those involved in disturbing the peace at the varsity were being identified using CCTV footage adding that strict action would be taken against them.

"Not only will they be removed from the university, there will be legal action against them," Prof Zakar said.

Last year in March the Punjab University had imposed a ban on student organisations from holding any kind of event.

The ban came as a reaction to a brawl between two student groups at the university on March 21, 2017 in which 18 students were injured.

A student group was celebrating their cultural day outside the Faisal Auditorium when a rival student group arrived and began chanting slogans against them which led to the clash.


0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...