
David Warner (left) and Steve Smith (right). Photo: GettyCricket Australia has placed a one-year ban on Steve Smith and David Warner in light of the ball-tampering scandal during the Test match against South Africa.
A nine-month ban has also been placed on opener Cameron Bancroft.
On Tuesday, the disgraced trio were sent home from South Africa for their role in a ball-tampering incident which has dragged Australian cricket's reputation through the mud, but coach Darren Lehmann is to remain in charge.
Warner stepped down Wednesday as captain of Indian Premier League side Sunrisers Hyderabad after reports emerged he had been ostracised by Australia's fast bowlers who feel he unfairly linked them to the row.
Smith had already been replaced as skipper of rival side Rajasthan Royals in the cash-rich Twenty20 competition due to start next month as the controversy unfolded.
"In light of recent events, David Warner has stepped down as captain of Sunrisers Hyderabad," Sunrisers chief executive K Shanmugam said on the team´s official Twitter page.
Wicketkeeper Tim Paine will take over the captaincy for the fourth and final Test starting in Johannesburg Friday, with hosts South Africa leading a bad-tempered series 2-1 as Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns fly to South Africa to replace the exiled trio.
Lehmann was not punished but further sanctions on the three players are to be announced said Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland.
"I understand and share the anger and disappointment of Australian fans," Sutherland said of the controversy in the third Test in Cape Town last Saturday.
"On behalf of Cricket Australia, I want to apologise to all Australians that these events have taken place, especially to all the kids."


0 Comments
Recommended Comments
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.