Thousands of Google employees across the globe, including India, walked out of their offices on Thursday to protest the company's handling of sexual misconduct cases.
Dubbed the 'Google Walkout,' the demonstrations followed the storm stirred by a New York Times investigation. It details the multi-million dollar severance packages for accused executives and a lack of transparency in dealing with such cases, over the years.
View this post on InstagramA post shared by kyla_kelly (@kyla_kelly) on Nov 1, 2018 at 11:29am PDT
The employees have demanded key changes in the company's stance, which could finally help the victims sue their harassers.
Among other issues raised by protestors are unequal pay and a lack of gender representation.
Google's chief executive Sundar Pichai has supported the staff's right to protest.
"Yesterday, we let Googlers know that we are aware of the activities planned for Thursday and that employees will have the support they need if they wish to participate," he said.
"I understand the anger and disappointment that many of you feel," he said in an all-staff email. "I feel it as well, and I am fully committed to making progress on an issue that has persisted for far too long in our society… and, yes, here at Google, too."
A Twitter feed titled @googlewalkout has documented the movement at Google's international offices.
Google staff in Singapore, Zurich, London, Tokyo, Berlin and New York were among the first to take part.
The first of many coordinated #GoogleWalkout protests has begun - this is at the firm's office in Singapore. (Pic via https://t.co/h44RZYGGHV ) pic.twitter.com/QeFgmPbHnN
— Dave Lee (@DaveLeeBBC) November 1, 2018Google confirmed to PTI that about 150 employees participated in the protests in India. The tech giant has offices in four locations in the country, namely Hyderabad, Gurgaon, Mumbai and Bangalore.
Google has struggled to deal with the reaction generated by the New York Times report. Top executives have promised in a mail that the company is "dead serious" towards workplace safety and creating an inclusive environment.
View this post on InstagramA post shared by Thames Sookpranee (@thamess) on Nov 1, 2018 at 11:21am PDT
At least 48 other employees have been sacked for sexual harassment without receiving a payout, Pichai told staff. He admitted the New York Times' report had been "difficult to read".
Staff involved in Thursday's walkout were supposed to leave a note on their desks telling colleagues: "I'm not at my desk because I'm walking out with other Googlers and contractors to protest sexual harassment, misconduct, lack of transparency, and a workplace culture that's not working for everyone."
Other formal demands from Google's management are as follows:
• A commitment to end pay and opportunity inequality
• A publicly disclosed sexual harassment transparency report
• A clear, uniform, globally inclusive process for reporting sexual misconduct safely and anonymously
• The elevation of the chief diversity officer to answer directly to the CEO, and make recommendations directly to the board of directors
• The appointment of an employee representative to the board
• An end to forced arbitration in cases of harassment and discrimination for all current and future employees
More on this as the story develops. Follow this space…


0 Comments
Recommended Comments
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.