The irresponsibility with which Indian citizens have been dealing with the outbreak of contagious and even deadly pandemic, Coronavirus is alarming, to say the least. The WHO and our government have been constantly urging people to practice social distancing, go on a self-quarantine for 14 days if you have traveled abroad, wash hands regularly, keep a sanitizer handy and make sure that you donât ignore your symptoms.
But seems like it's still difficult for people to understand this and take a note of it in their head. If you analyze the situation in the country, people who are literate and seem to be educated are finding it hard to contain themselves and self-isolate whenever needed. Better known as 'padhe likhe gawaar' in hindi, these irresponsible citizens are actually putting the lives of millions at risk with their negligence.View this post on InstagramHi ðð»ââï¸A post shared by (@kanik4kapoor)
People, who are suspected cases, are running away from quarantine centers and some are complaining of the isolation rooms not being up to the mark. What's worse is that people are not even taking self-isolation seriously. Needless to say, if we keep at it with this attitude, it would be next to impossible for our country to battle it. Even after knowing the fact that Coronavirus is contagious, there are some people who have taken it lightly and in fact, have put many others in danger.
Here are such instances of the 'literate and educated' acting irresponsibly.
1. Let me start by presenting the case of Bollywood singer Kanika Kapoor who didnât care to self-quarantine after she came from London. According to reports, she hid her travel history from the concerned authorities. The worst part is that she has put many others in danger as she was actively attending parties in the period she should have isolated herself and just yesterday, the news broke in that she has been tested positive for Coronavirus.View this post on InstagramHello everyone, For the past 4 days I have had signs of flu, I got myself tested and it came positive for Covid-19. My family and I are in complete quarantine now and following medical advice on how to move forward. Contact mapping of people I have been in touch with is underway aswell. I was scanned at the airport as per normal procedure 10days ago when I came back home, the symptoms have developed only 4 days ago. At this stage I would like to urge you all to practice self isolation and get tested if you have the signs. I am feeling ok, like a normal flu and a mild fever, however we need to be sensible citizens at this time and think of all around us. We can get through this without panic only if we listen to the experts and our local, state and central government directives. Wishing everyone good health. Jai Hind ! Take care, KKA post shared by (@kanik4kapoor)
2. Another infamous case is about a senior bureaucratâs son, who traveled from London, moved around the city of Kolkata freely for good two days even after he was advised to get himself checked immediately. His mother whoâs a bureaucrat is also being accused of hiding this from the authorities. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said, âYou see that symptoms have come, but you roamed about like an irresponsible person. It could infect 5,000 others, from contact with you. Er cheye obibechok kaaj aar kichhui hotey paarey na (there can be nothing more inconsiderate than this).â
Here's the chilling account of the same:
3. A few days back, we had reported how a few civilians in Nagpur made the streets their workout stations. It seems like common sense has suddenly vanished from our minds. The government has laid out strict guidelines asking people to not gather and this is why gyms were shut in the first place. Thankfully, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has announced a lockdown in the entire state, which should help in curbing such cases.
4. In another shocking news, a medical superintendent from AIIMS, Bhubaneswar also hid his sonâs travel history of flying in from London to Delhi first and then to Bhubaneswar by an Indigo flight on March 18. However, on March 19, he complained of problems in breathing and was taken to AIIMS Bhubaneswar where he was tested positive. On the very same day, the medical superintendent whoâs the nodal officer of Covid-19 in the city had a meeting with the state government officials and resident doctors are now demanding action against him for hiding the travel history of his son.
5. It's not just civilians, as even politicians seem to be taking it lightly. Reportedly, Koneru Konappa, an MLA from Telangana's ruling party, who had just returned from the US, skipped his quarantine and instead travelled in trains and even attended a social function and political gathering.
So #TRS #Sirpur MLA #konerukonappa instead of being in #quarantine, travelled by train to attend municipal council meeting in #Kaghaznagar where entire council reportedly attended; was it ignorance or callousness about public safety?@ndtv @ndtvindia #CoronavirusOutbreakindia pic.twitter.com/tnLERd3vx5â Uma Sudhir (@umasudhir) March 20, 2020
There are many more unreported cases that are not being taken into consideration. And in such dire circumstances thereâs only one question for all these negligent people - is it a lack of compassion or sheer stupidity that's making them do this? We appeal to everyone to start taking this pandemic very seriously otherwise at this rate, we will surely enter stage 3.