While talking about trains, one thing that often pops up in our minds is Narendra Modi's long fetched promise of Bullet Trains. And guess what, he actually has kept it. Well, not exactly a Bullet Train but a desi version of it. Well, that is Train 18 aka Vande Bharat Express.
With its Bullet Train-inspired design and super cool features, the driverless train will be flagged off by PM Modi on February 15 and will cover the route between New Delhi and Agra replacing the veteran Shatabdi Express.
As per the results from the trial runs as of now, Train 18 can clock up a speed of over 180 kmph making it the fastest ever train of the Indian Railways. Being a desi product (Yes! Make In India, guys) and built at a cost of Rs 100 crore, this train is making Rs 88,000 crore India loaned from Japan seems like a total rip-off.
According to a report by The Hindu, here are some of the cool features that the Vande Bharat Express comes packed with that really give it a futuristic feel.
1. Aerodynamically designed driver cabins at both ends for quicker turn-around at destinations
2. Alternate coaches are motorised to ensure even distribution of power and faster acceleration or deceleration
3. Regenerative braking system to save power
4. Inter-connected, fully sealed gangways
5. Automatic doors with retractable footsteps
6. Onboard Wi-Fi and infotainment
7. GPS-based passenger information system
8. Modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems
9. Rotational seats which can be aligned in the direction of travel (executive class)
10. Roller blinds and diffused LED lighting
11. Disabled-friendly toilets
12. Emergency talk-back units to contact train crew
13. CCTVs in all coaches for safe and secure travel in numbers
The report also mentioned that the approximate cost to build the train is around Rs 100 crore, and if the train runs at 200 kmph as per the report, then it sounds like a fairly decent deal. The makers of the train - Integral Coach Factory, Chennai is believed to have around five Train 18s in the pipeline and the time taken to conceive, design and develop the train is said to be around 18 months.
All in all, Vande Bharat Express being a driverless train packed with other mind-blowing features is going to be an exceptional experience and we can't wait to get aboard.