Thinking hat on, magnifying glasses in hand and my Sherlock style coat dangling from the back of the chair – I'm ready to play Sherlock on British actor Benedict Cumberbatch and go all Holmes on you.
From 'Avengers' to 'Star Trek', this maverick actor has been a part of some exciting projects but there's a lot more to his story than just big name-dropping. Did you know that Benedict Cumberbatch was actually kidnapped? No, that's not the plot of his next movie. This actually happened. And did you know that he actually considered dropping his last name? Shocked? I hope so! There's a lot more to unravel about this talented man. So scroll through to tick off the pointers you already knew about your favourite Sherlock on-screen.
1. He wasn't immediately convinced to play Sherlock Holmes. He felt that the outcome could be a bit cheap and cheesy. It was only when he found out who was involved in the project that he thought otherwise of it.
2. He has a rare genetic mutation that causes his eyes to change colours. Born with both central heterochromia and sectoral heterochromia, each of his eyes has multiple colours that are a mix of blue, green and gold.
3. He considered acting to be an unreliable source of income and toyed with the idea of becoming a lawyer and putting his dramatics to use in the courtroom.
4. During a gap year, he spent his time teaching English at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India.
5. Benedict Cumberbatch was kidnapped in South Africa while filming the 2005 miniseries 'To The Ends of the Earth'. On a day off, he and his co-stars took off to take scuba diving lessons near Mozambique. On their way back, they stopped to fix their flat tyre when six men appeared out of nowhere and frisked them for drugs, money and weapons. Benedict was then tied up and dragged into the boot of the car but his quick thinking saved him. He argued that he has a heart and brain condition because of which he will die. The kidnappers had an argument and left him unharmed.
6. During the filming of 'Star Trek: Into Darkness', his co-star Simon Pegg convinced him that he might have radiation poisoning from filming in a nuclear facility.
7. Benedict Cumberbatch believes that his surname sounds like “a fart in a bath”. He even began his career using his middle name Carlton instead of Cumberbatch until his agent convinced him otherwise.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch has been announced the brand ambassador of Morris Garages (MG) India that has just announced their plans to introduce its brand of vehicles in the Indian Market. MG Motor was one of the first cars that he owned.
MG Motor India has commenced its manufacturing operations at its car manufacturing plant at Halol in Gujarat. The first of these modern MG cars - “HECTOR” will be made available to the Indian customers in the second quarter of this year.
Benedict is excited to be a part of the launch of the new MG in India and so are the folks at the MG Motor. Benedict has a lot in common with Morris Garages. His social and philanthropic work, as well as his support for inclusivity beyond gender, is in sync with the core brand ideology of MG Motor.
Benedict Cumberbatch follows a strong resonance among pop culture and youth and the association further underlines MG's unique British heritage and its focus on enabling the future with the core pillars of innovation, diversity and technology.